Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Hello, world. Let's think together about a Play Theory of Learning

I recently started a research project focused on the intersection of play, serious games, and college-level learning. I'll be posting some of my thoughts here, and I welcome your comments, additions, criticisms and suggestions.

The foundation for the work is my realization that my traditional classroom is obsolete -- impossibly burdened by the weight of its fixed desks, fixed time periods, and fixed student expectations. I want something different, a new environment for teaching and learning.

After 20+ years of university teaching, I now want to focus on imagining the future of higher education. 

The first step is to develop a play theory of learning which holds changes in thinking, feeling and doing occur most effectively when the mind is in a playful mode.

I've posted an outline for a book proposal. The working title is Just Play with It: Applied play for 21st Century Learning Environments.


Please take a look and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be looking forward to reading more about your thoughts on this! And, because I know you have a sense of humor, don't you think that using shelves and shelves of low-tech books as the visual background for your blog is kind of ironic? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting, congratulations for launching!

    ReplyDelete